Connect a point to a surface

Moderator: GiD Team

nchar

Connect a point to a surface

Post by nchar »

Hello everyone,

How could I connect a point, in which I have attached an horizontal load and a moment, to the upper surface of a hollow, semicircular monopile volume? In other words, how could I define a beam type, multipoint constraint (MPC) using as control point the point I have loaded and as slave nodes the nodes of the surface?

Thank you in advance
Attachments
1.png
1.png (28.35 KiB) Viewed 4702 times
escolano

Re: Connect a point to a surface

Post by escolano »

To force that a node of the mesh is on this point (that don't belong to a line on the boundary of the surface), must use the special trick

Mesh->Mesh criteria->Force points to->Surface mesh

Select the surface, and then the point that must be off course on the surface (very close)
nchar

Post by nchar »

Thank you for the prompt response.
I do that but then I get an error message.
And while viewing the mesh, I can only see the mesh of the volume whose I use the surface. The other volume dissapears.
Attachments
2b.png
2b.png (35.55 KiB) Viewed 4669 times
2a.png
2a.png (38.68 KiB) Viewed 4669 times
2.png
2.png (5.49 KiB) Viewed 4669 times
escolano

Post by escolano »

Force a node to the mesh is only valid for unstructured meshes and your picture show a structured mesh
A structured mesh is more restrictive nd the nodes cannot be set in an arbitrary 3D location

The mesh of the volume with the forced point is not seen because the mesh generation has failed.

To do a structured mesh cannot use 'force points to mesh', and must divide your geometry in several volumes to have a point as corner of a volume.

It is also possible to assign the condition directly to the mesh, to the node you want close to the point, but in general is not a good approach because if do you generate a new mesh you will lost the directly assigned condition.