Contact volume

Moderator: GiD Team

zaherkurdi

Contact volume

Post by zaherkurdi »

Dear,

I am writing to seek your assistance regarding an issue I am experiencing while using the GID software V16.1.3d. Specifically, I am having trouble creating contact volumes between the surfaces of different volumes.

To provide you with some context, I am working with a seven-wire strand and block of concrete. The concrete has a hole that matches the shape of the strand, and as a result, the surfaces of the strand are overlapped with the inner surfaces of the concrete.
I attempted to create a contact volume between the overlapping surfaces using the following steps: (Geometry > Create > Contact > Volume) and selecting the first surface of the strand with the corresponding surface on the concrete. However, while this method worked for two surfaces (created two contact volumes), the software failed to create the contact volumes for the remaining surfaces and displayed an error message stating that the "contact volume was not created as surfaces have different bounding box sizes."

Given the above, I was hoping you could provide me with some guidance on how to resolve this issue. Any insights or advice would be greatly appreciated. I uploaded the model as a ZIP file.

Thank you for your time and assistance.

Sincerely,
Zaher.
Attachments
concrete strand and contacts.gid.zip
(168.56 KiB) Downloaded 71 times
escolano

Re: Contact volume

Post by escolano »

The problem happen for example in this model if you read the model, delete the current contact volume and try to create again, because the bounding box of the first surface was calculated early, without render mesh, and the second surface is rendered and its bounding box become a little different and the contact volume is rejected.

This is caused by a very internal issue.
A comparison of the bounding box of both contact volume surfaces is bigger that an internal tolerance
and in this case a bounding box of a surface is a little bigger that the other because it is a trimmed NURBS surface curved and the bounding box is calculated without take into account its render mesh to be more fitted (because this render mesh doesn't exists at this moment)

We will study how to solve it for next GiD 16.1.5d (it is available a version 16.1.4d more modern that your current version)

In this example you can read the model and use
Geometry->Create->Contact->Automatic volumes
and select all surfaces, and the 4 missing contact volumes will be created
(in the current 'layer to use)
The existing contact volume won't be re-created again.