Define mesh size in 3D domain

Moderator: GiD Team

mk21

Define mesh size in 3D domain

Post by mk21 »

Hello,

I have developed a 2D model and I assigned the mesh size at each of the defined surfaces via deploying the process: mesh->unstructured->assign sizes on surfaces. In that way I could control the mesh size in the areas that I am expecting large deformations, while within the rest of the surfaces I allowed the software to generate the mesh automatically. Please see the attached impage. I am now focused on developing the same geometry in 3D. I extruded the model and updated all the rest of the parameters (materials, boundary conditions etc). However, I would like to maintain the same mesh distribution as in the initial 2D model and divide the z direction into two elements of 0.5m. Can you please provide me with any suggestions, as using the unstructured mesh option resulted in errors while generating the model's mesh?

Thank you very much in advance!
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (62.68 KiB) Viewed 2088 times
escolano

Re: Define mesh size in 3D domain

Post by escolano »

If your volumes are created extruding the surfaces, then they can be meshes as semi-structured. (a unstructured mesh in the top surfaces, and a structured mesh in the extrusion direction, setting a number of divisions=2)

menu:
Mesh->Semi structured->Volumes->Assign number of divisions in structured direction
select the volumes and a number of divisions 2

You can also generate a unstructured mesh, and assign sizes to volumes, surfaces, lines and/or points in the same way as you did in the 2D surfaces case, but off course generate a volume mesh could be more difficult.
mk21

Re: Define mesh size in 3D domain

Post by mk21 »

Hi Escolano,

Thanks for your reply and suggestion! It now works.