Gid crashes when warning "Model not correct, some data is lost" occurs

Moderator: GiD Team

JFlock_BE

Gid crashes when warning "Model not correct, some data is lost" occurs

Post by JFlock_BE »

Hi Gid Team,

I have a frequent issue with some gid projects and I would like to know why this happens and how we can avoid this.
The problem is that when we open GiD with an existing project, we have, sometimes, a warning message saying "Model not correct, some data is lost" (cf. PrintScreen) and then Gid crashes after clicking "ok".
Model-not-correct-some-data-is-lost.png
Model-not-correct-some-data-is-lost.png (5.02 KiB) Viewed 2583 times
As Gid is crashing, we can't do anything more with this project and we have to start over from the last save.
I realised that this happens when the .lin file (in the .gid project) is "corrupted". For example, if we delete the .lin file, the warning doesn't show up anymore. However, as there is no more .lin file, we lost all conditions applied.
By investigating further into the origin of the problem, it seems that some data is missing in the .lin file (for example, if there are 35 conditions in my problem type, the .lin file has data for only 31 conditions). I have the feeling (although I am not sure) that this problem happens when the user loses his connection to the network and GiD tries to save the project on the network at the same time.

So my questions are:
Does this message appear only when the .lin file is corrupted? Does my interpretation of the problem seem correct?
If this message is related to the corrupted .lin file, is there a way to "correct" the .lin file?
Finally, is there a way to avoid this warning and the subsequent issue?

We are using GiD V14.0.
Thanks.
escolano

Re: Gid crashes when warning "Model not correct, some data is lost" occurs

Post by escolano »

You are right, this message is related with some corruption of the .lin file, that store the values of the conditions applied to the geometry and mesh.
If this file become corrupted it is at least possible to not lost the geometry, mesh, groups, etc.
If the file is corrupted by some reason it is impossible to recover it (it is a binary file, and is some data is missing is not possible to know the meaning of any data)

In any case It is not normal that the file become corrupted, probably it happen related with the uses of the specific problemtype that your are using that provide some buffer overflow, and also depends on the exact GiD version used (and the exact version of the problemtype that maybe can also somehow bypass the problem).

I don't think that the problem is related to a network problem while saving.

Maybe the bug has been solved in next GiD 14.x versions. If you are not using the last GiD 14.0.7 official or 14.1.10d developer I recommend to try them. (nowadays can download all GiD versions and utilities at https://downloads.gidsimulation.com)

And if you are able to repeat the corruption with last GiD 15.0.4 or 15.1.5d versions, let us know how to do it, to be able to fix it for next versions.
JFlock_BE

Post by JFlock_BE »

Hi Escolano,

Thanks for your quick answers, as usual!
I didn't think that the problem could be related to our probelmtype and a buffer overflow, but I'll try to dig into it.
Actually, this kind of problem doesn't happen to me personally but is reported by users from time to time so it's quite difficult to determine the exact cause leading to corruption of the .lin file. So, unfortunately, I can't systematically reproduce the bug. However, if I find a way to reproduce it with our version of GiD, I will try with the last version of GiD 14 and 15 and let you know how to do it.

Once again, many thanks for your replies!
escolano

Post by escolano »

I don't suggest that the bug is at the problemtype side, but that maybe depends on the kind of syntax and GiD functions that is using.