GiD15's "Vew Results" window in complex vector plot

Moderator: GiD Team

Hemmi

GiD15's "Vew Results" window in complex vector plot

Post by Hemmi »

I'm a GiD 11 user and am testing GiD15.0.3 free version.

When I try to plot complex number vectors by GiD15, I get a degraded "View Results" compared to GiD11. Separate plot of real part vector and imaginary part vector is inhibited.

Am guessing this is a bug. Pleas fix it.

Shigeru Hemmi
Attachments
AC11data.zip
(766 Bytes) Downloaded 173 times
GiD15_bad.png
GiD15_bad.png (79.05 KiB) Viewed 4751 times
GiD11_good.png
GiD11_good.png (123.86 KiB) Viewed 4751 times
escolano

Re: GiD15's "Vew Results" window in complex vector plot

Post by escolano »

No, this is not a bug
It was simplified some GiD versions ago.

In case of complex vector and tensor results some combinations are avoided to be drawn as a 3D vector, because doesn't has physical sense.

You can see each individual component (scalar) you want for example with a contour fill
Hemmi

Post by Hemmi »

I disagree with what Escolano wrote, "because it has no physical meaning".
If that were the case, then "looking at individual components" (scalar contour fill) would also be meaningless.

In any case, I give up.

Thanks for the reply.
escolano

Post by escolano »

Really my sentence 'it has no physical meaning' is unfortunate in this 'vector complex' results case. They have physical sense, but don't provide more information.

My sentence really applies more in the case of 'tensor complex' case, where I think that old GiDs were offering some combinations of 3 values to be represented as a 3D vector that doesn't have physical meaning (e.g. represent as a vector some column of the 3x3 tensor, or a vector with the 3 main eigenvalues, I don't remember well...) and the results windows and menus are offering too much similar sub-options.

In this case of vector complex result with a 'Display vectors view' new GiD are simplifying the GUI: old versions are offering like your picture 9 options and new versions only 1

The old options represent vectors projected, setting to 0 the other components, the vector Re only, the vector Im only, and both vectors Re and Im
1-(Rex,0,0)
2-(Imx,0,0)
3-(0,Rey,0)
4-(0,Imy,0)
5-(0,0,Rez)
6-(0,0,Imz)
7-(Rex,Rey,Rez)
8-(Imx,Imy,Imz)
9-both (Rex,Rey,Rez) and (Imx,Imy,Imz)

In my opinion the last option (the only one of current versions) is enough to visually understand how both vectors are, and the other options are a little redundant, and similar in the tensor case were the amount or combinations grown excessively.
Hemmi

Post by Hemmi »

Thank you for your continued consideration. I would be happy if it is possible to plot the figures for the three types from the bottom you wrote.

Let the angular frequency be omega. Consider when omega is small. Physical quantities can be Taylor expanded for omega. Then, suppose that the 0th-order term is the real part and the 1st-order term is the imaginary part proportional to omega.
In such cases, separate plots are more useful than simultaneous plots of the real and imaginary parts because the large real parts sometimes hide the small imaginary parts of the plot.

As you suggested, plotting 9-componented complex tensor seems very hard.
I am sorry I have no idea about tensor plotting.

Regards,
escolano

Post by escolano »

The next developer version 15.1.4d will include also the two extra options to draw as vector only the Real part and only the Imaginary part