Consolidation test with BExM

Moderator: CODE_BRIGHT Team

ivormontenegro

Consolidation test with BExM

Post by ivormontenegro »

I am trying to simulate a simple test using CODE_BRIGHT and the BExM model, but unfortunately I am facing some issues and would like to ask for some help to find the solution.
Attached to this message is a compacted file which contains a PDF with a detailed description of the problem and a folder with the files generated with GID.
I am trying to simulate the drying of a clay sample followed by increase of vertical loading. The first phase (drying) is calculated by the software, but there is an issue when calculating the response to the increase in vertical load. Apparently the calculations stop when the loading path reaches the LC yield surface. When the increase in vertical load starts, the stress state lies on the SI yield surface and remains there throughout the increment. At some point there is a transition between yield surfaces and, apparently, this is where the software stops calculating. This can be identified by taking a look at the calculation info. At this point the error estimation shows ‘NaN’.
Is there anything I am doing wrong? Is there anything I can do to solve this issue?
I would really appreciate if someone could take a quick look at this.
Attachments
simulation.zip
(616.18 KiB) Downloaded 333 times
nuria.pinyol

Re: Consolidation test with BExM

Post by nuria.pinyol »

I revised the case you attached. I do not know what exactly the problem is because I did not follow the calculation process in the code. However I detected that there must be a problem during the integration of the constitutive model due to the shape of the SD interaction function. Just by changing the nSD value to 1.0 instead 0.1 the case runs without convergence problems. I am aware that during loading at constant suction SD yield surface is not active, but even in this case, the interaction SD function is used and calculated. It should be analyzed in detail and modified, if necessary, for future versions of Code_Bright.