Atmospheric data and extra file

Moderator: CODE_BRIGHT Team

Andre

Atmospheric data and extra file

Post by Andre »

Hi,

I am a new user of CODE_BRIGHT and I am working my way through the tutorials. My main aim (for now) for using CODE_BRIGHT is to conduct slope stability analyses with varying climate (or atmospheric) data. I have worked through most of the tutorial to learn the software, but I am now stuck at the atmospheric tutorial, specifically in the section where the boundary conditions need to be assigned. My two major problems are:

1. The extra file I have to create with the atmospheric data, how does CODE_BRIGHT know to use this file? For instance: I want to simulate rainfall, relative humidity and temperature data. DO I assign a "-999" value for all the variables in the file or is there a different method (and the variable are part of the boundary flow rate for instance and not the atmospheric conditions). There is no clear explanation of this in the tutorial manual. There is also no clear explanation of the <root>_atm.dat file in the tutorial manual or the the used guide.

2. In the tutorial it states that the user should see "section II.2.3.2 Flux boundary condition – Atmospheric conditions in Code_Bright manual." However, there is no such section in the used guide (which I assume is the manual since this is the only file resembling a manual available for download from the website).

Help on these two problems will be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Kind regards
Andre
code_bright

Re: Atmospheric data and extra file

Post by code_bright »

Hi Andre!

We have been working in a new version of the User's Guide including an explanation about the atmospheric boundary conditions that is ready for downloading from the code_bright web page.

Hope it helps.

Kind regards,

Alfonso
Andre

Post by Andre »

Dear Alfonso

Thank you for the reply and information. It was very helpful.

I just have one more question. This regarding calculating the factor of safety for a slope. Is there a procedure in Code_Bright that can do this automatically (i.e. a phi-c reduction technique, etc.) and obtain a factor of safety like in other FEM codes or should this be done manually by the user.

Kind regards
Andre
code_bright

Post by code_bright »

Dear Andre,

There is no any procedure to calculate the factor of safety automatically. It should be done manually by the user.

Regards,

Alfonso