Generate different files for different meshes

Moderator: GiD Team

Agorar

Generate different files for different meshes

Post by Agorar »

Good day,

I know that GID generates one file per each .bas file that it finds within the problem type folder but what if I want to generate a number of files dependent on the input of the problem type? i.e I want one mesh for a solid and a different mesh for a fluid on separate files.

Until now I can generate a big mesh with the description of both mesh and solids and I can arrange them in groups but I don't really know how to tell gid to print them in separate files.

Should I do this throgh a TCL command called printMesh for example? To this function i would pass elements and id and it prints mesh. Is there a more direct way?

By the way I would like to thank you for your kind and quick replies to my past inquires.

Regards,
escolano

Re: Generate different files for different meshes

Post by escolano »

You can create as you said two different .bas templates, and the you will obtain two .dat files

You can for example assign a condition or material whith a question (could be a hidden question) that classify the element as 'solid' or 'fluid' and a template could write only the 'solid' elements, and another template the 'fluid' elements.
Separate the nodes in two files marking the elements could be a little more difficult, specially if some nodes are shared by both kind of elements.

And off course for advanced thinks it is always possible to invoke from the .bas template a Tcl procedure with *tcl(your_procedure) that could do exactly what you want, with a powerful scripting language (e.g. you can open the files you want and write inside what you want)