[GiDlist] Boolean unification of 2 cylinders

Moderator: GiD Team

Tomasz Błachowicz

Post by Tomasz Błachowicz »

I have the following problem with GiD 10.0.6:

1) draw two cylinders; 10 base diameter, and 70 height oriented perpendicularly, lying in xy plane
2) next, move one cylinder in 8 units into z-direction; both cylinder are now overlapping slightly,
3) I'd like to unify them into one volume using Geometry/Edit/Volume boolean operation,
4) after a second small window informs that operation in 100% is ready, but system is hang-up, that window is still visible; after some minutes all resources are completely non-free (memory etc.)

Why so simple volumes can't be unified?

Computer: i7 processor, 8GB RAM, Ubuntu system.

Tomasz
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://listas.cimne.upc.edu/pipermail/gidlist/attachments/20130212/e6a99145/attachment.htm
escolano

Post by escolano »

Boolean unification of 2 cylindersA volume boolean operation is much more difficult that you can imagine,
It involve to find intersections between curves and surfaces, find the curves intersection between surfaces, division of curves, split of surfaces, classification of entities inside/outside of volumes, split of volumes.
if some of these steps fail then the process can't be completed, and there are a lot of possible problems with tolerances, small cuts, etc.

The aparently 'simplest cases' that can be done 'manually' without need to calculate surface intersections are usually the worsts, because curves and surfaces to be intersected are tangent, etc.

Concluding: to do boolean volume operations if GiD fail I recommend you to use a specialized CAD program.
----- Original Message -----
To: gidlist at listas.cimne.upc.edu
Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2013 4:30 PM
Subject: [GiDlist] Boolean unification of 2 cylinders

I have the following problem with GiD 10.0.6:

1) draw two cylinders; 10 base diameter, and 70 height oriented perpendicularly, lying in xy plane
2) next, move one cylinder in 8 units into z-direction; both cylinder are now overlapping slightly,
3) I'd like to unify them into one volume using Geometry/Edit/Volume boolean operation,
4) after a second small window informs that operation in 100% is ready, but system is hang-up, that window is still visible; after some minutes all resources are completely non-free (memory etc.)

Why so simple volumes can't be unified?

Computer: i7 processor, 8GB RAM, Ubuntu system.

Tomasz

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://listas.cimne.upc.edu/pipermail/gidlist/attachments/20130212/94edd1c8/attachment.htm